Sanitary tees are t-shaped sanitary pipe fittings used in the branch pipe of the main pipeline. In normal use, Sanitary tees connect a branch line to a vertical drain line or vent line. Sanitary tees can be made in one consistent diameter or different diameters to connect to pipes or valves with different connection sizes. These ancillary pieces of equipment come in many different shapes and sizes, but there are only two main types of sanitary tee.
Why are hygienic tees used?
The sanitary tee has a curved middle section for smoother, more efficient fluid flow. It is primarily used to connect horizontal strainers to vertical strainers in drainage systems. The center connection is usually made to the pipe leading to a trap. Sanitary tees should not be used to connect a vertical drain to a horizontal drain, as solids can build up under the connection and cause a blockage.
Use of Sanitary Tees
- Hygienic tees can be used to join a horizontal line. For example, to combine waste streams to vent piles or vertical risers.
- Sometimes, a Hygienic tee can be used instead of a vent tee when laying vent piping. Helps maintain proper flow.
- When installing sanitary tees, do not place them with the back side up and the sides open, as this will cause waste to splash upstream when it hits the bottom of the horizontal tube. This will eventually cause blockages in the pipeline.
Types of hygienic tees
- According to Pipe Diameter
- Reducing Tee: Reducing Tee have the same diameter as the main tube and side tube.
- Reduction Tee: Reduction tees have a smaller side pipe diameter than the main pipe.
- According to the connection type
- Welded Tee: welded tees provide a sleeve with 90 degree rotation and connect after butt welding with connecting pipe fittings.
- Socket Type Tees: A socket type tee is a tee pipe fitting that is welded or welded after placing the connecting pipe at each end of the tee.
- Sleeve Tees: A card sleeve type tee is a three-way pipe fitting with a card sleeve connection at both ends, and the pipe fitting is inserted and then tightened.
- Threaded tees: Threaded tees connect pipes by screwing them in place.
- According to the material they are made of: Hygienic Tees
- Stainless steel tees
- Carbon steel tees
- Copper tees
- PVC tees